RStudio (2022.12.0-353) on linux with R that has multiple sub-architectures: caveat utilitor

Today I was told that a new RStudio version was available. I promptly installed RStudio (2022.12.0-353) over (2022.07.2-576).

First problem: the location of the executable apparently changed (or the way it is called), so the icon in my panel for launching RStudio did not work anymore. Relatively easy fix, remove the old icon and create a new one.

Second problem: RStudio does not play nicely with sub-architectures anymore. When I want to install/update a package, I immediately get errors along the lines:

/opt/R/R-4.2.2/lib/R/bin/R: line 142: /opt/R/R-4.2.2/lib/R/etc64/ldpaths: No such file or directory
/opt/R/R-4.2.2/lib/R/bin/Rcmd: 39: .: cannot open /opt/R/R-4.2.2/lib/R/etc64/Renviron: No such file

the problem seems to be that in RStudio, I see the following:

> Sys.getenv("R_ARCH")
[1] "64"

If I start R from the command line, I see:

> Sys.getenv("R_ARCH")
[1] "/64"

So I guess until I figure out where in the starting sequence RStudio changes the R_ARCH environment variable, it is back to RStudio (2022.07.2-576) for me. :slight_smile:

I thought I should warn other users who might run an R installation that uses sub-architectures on linux (the only platform on which this is still possible??) about this infidelity.

Cheers,
Berwin

PS: Interestingly, using RStudio (2022.07.2-576), I get the following information:

> Sys.getenv("R_ARCH")
[1] ""

Well, at least it works :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.