RStudio cannot find Rtools

[This question is similar to: Rtools not recognized on Win 10, R 3.6.1, RStudio 1.2.5001, but I couldn't find a solution there.]

I'm using R studio version 1.1.442, and a recent installation of R 3.6.3 (2020-02-29), on Windows 7, Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64.

I also installed Rtools 3.5. Yet, every time I try to build/install a local package I get:

WARNING: Rtools is required to build R packages but is not currently installed. Please download and install the appropriate version of Rtools before proceeding:

https://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/Rtools/

I've done all the relevant tests I can find, and none point to any problems on my system. At least pkgbuild can find Rtools. Why can't Rstudio??? Is this a bug of R studio 1.1.442 or one related to R 3.6.3?

> pkgbuild::find_rtools()
[1] TRUE
> pkgbuild::find_rtools(debug=TRUE)
Scanning R CMD config CC...
cc_path: c:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gcc 
install_path: c:/Rtools 
Found compatible gcc from R CMD config CC
[1] TRUE
> pkgbuild::rtools_path()
[1] "c:/Rtools/bin"

1 Like

Did you add Rtools folder into your PATH environment variable ?
It could help. BINPREF can also be useful.
I add some issues in the past with that

Yes, Rtools is on my PATH, and just after R. Normally the Rtools installer package does all of this. I never heard of BINPREF before, but will check it out.

A short version of my question is why pkgbuild can find Rtools, but Rstudio cannot.

> Sys.getenv("PATH")
[1] "C:\\R\\R-3.6.3\\bin\\x64;C:\\Rtools\\bin;C:\\Program Files\\ImageMagick-7.0.9-Q16;c:\\Rtools\\mingw_32\\bin;c:\\Rtools\\gcc-4.6.3\\bin;C:\\ProgramData\\Oracle\\Java\\javapath;C:\\Perl64\\site\\bin;C:\\Perl64\\bin;c:\\Rtools\\gcc-4.6.3\\bin;C:\\Program Files\\ImageMagick-6.8.1-Q16;C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Intel\\iCLS Client\\;C:\\Program Files\\Intel\\iCLS Client\\;C:\\Windows\\system32;C:\\Windows;C:\\Windows\\System32\\Wbem;C:\\Windows\\System32\\WindowsPowerShell\\v1.0\\;
> 
> pkgbuild::has_build_tools()
[1] TRUE

The finding mechanism are not the same I think. One is inside the package, the other is inside RStudio and it seems they are not identical.

In RStudio on windows, I often use pkgbuild::with_build_tools() to run safely being sure RTools is found.

Which RStudio version are you using ?
I think there are still issue on this opened on RStudio side.

Sys.setenv(BINPREF = "C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/") doesn't help

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.