RStudio desktop shortcut opens RGui instead of IDE

Hello,

I am an absolute novice to RStudio and coding in general. I need to work with RStudio for University, so I downloaded R and RStudio according to the instructions on this link below. I am working with Windows 10 Home.

My problem is anytime I open my desktop shortcut for RStudio (both the 32 bit and the 64 bit version) it opens RGui which only has the R Console window. As far as I know I need four windows for my assigments (console, environment and history, files and plot and the fourth one). From what I've gathered from different tutorials I need RStudio IDE instead of GUI but I have no idea how to get there.

I added in a screenshot of what it looks like when I open RStudio 64 bit from my desktop shortcut.

I hope this makes sense and is enough information, I would greatly appreciate any help!

Weird, that is indeed R, not Rstudio. My first bet is that the shortcut points to R. Make sure Rstudio is correctly installed, reinstall it if in doubt. Try to open RStudio from the Start Menu, or look for it at a path like "C:\Program Files\RStudio\bin\rstudio.exe".

You can also right click on the Desktop icon and look for "Target" to see what this shortcut currently links to.

Thank you for your reply!
I still don't know what went wrong with my shortcut, but I managed to open RStudio just through the Start Menu, so thank you for the help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.