RStudio fails to start after update (Windows 64-bit system)

Hello,

I wanted to update RStudio to the most current release (2022.12.0+353 "Elsbeth Geranium) on a 64-bit Windows laptop. After installing, RStudio fails to fire up with the error log below. I tried to look for solutions online but I wasn't very successful. I also tried removing R/RStudio and installing everything from scratch, but it is not helping either.

It looks like a local software is preventing its access to the web? I'm on a company provided device with Apex One Security installed by default and cannot be removed. I cannot add a monitoring exclusion for RStudio due to the lack of admin privileges. Can this be the culprit here? The prior releases of RStudio didn't have this issue though.

EDIT: I just confirmed that rolling back to RStudio 2022.07.2+576.pro12 "Spotted Wakerobin" fixes the issue.

Any help is much appreciated!

R Session Startup Failure Report

RStudio Version

RStudio 2022.12.0+353 "Elsbeth Geranium " (7d165dcf, 2022-12-03) for Windows

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) RStudio/2022.12.0+353 Chrome/102.0.5005.167 Electron/19.1.3 Safari/537.36

Error message

[No error available]

Process Output

The R session exited with code 3221225781.

Error output:

[No errors emitted]

Standard output:

[No output emitted]

Logs

C:/Users/atakan-ekiz/AppData/Local/RStudio/log/rsession-atakan-ekiz.log

2022-12-26T14:57:21.808262Z [rsession-atakan-ekiz] ERROR system error 10053 (An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine) [request-uri: /help/library/stats/html/hclust.html]; OCCURRED AT void __cdecl rstudio::session::HttpConnectionImpl<class rstudio_boost::asio::ip::tcp>::sendResponse(const class rstudio::core::http::Response &) C:\Users\jenkins\workspace\ide\open-source-pipeline\spotted-wakerobin\src\cpp\session\http\SessionHttpConnectionImpl.hpp:156; LOGGED FROM: void __cdecl rstudio::session::HttpConnectionImpl<class rstudio_boost::asio::ip::tcp>::sendResponse(const class rstudio::core::http::Response &) C:\Users\jenkins\workspace\ide\open-source-pipeline\spotted-wakerobin\src\cpp\session\http\SessionHttpConnectionImpl.hpp:161
2022-12-26T14:57:21.808262Z [rsession-atakan-ekiz] ERROR system error 10053 (An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine) [request-uri: /help/library/stats/html/hclust.html]; OCCURRED AT void __cdecl rstudio::session::HttpConnectionImpl<class rstudio_boost::asio::ip::tcp>::sendResponse(const class rstudio::core::http::Response &) C:\Users\jenkins\workspace\ide\open-source-pipeline\spotted-wakerobin\src\cpp\session\http\SessionHttpConnectionImpl.hpp:156; LOGGED FROM: void __cdecl rstudio::session::HttpConnectionImpl<class rstudio_boost::asio::ip::tcp>::sendResponse(const class rstudio::core::http::Response &) C:\Users\jenkins\workspace\ide\open-source-pipeline\spotted-wakerobin\src\cpp\session\http\SessionHttpConnectionImpl.hpp:161

The last error message isn’t limited to Windows, it occurs also on Ubuntu when attempting to run a help example. (But at least it works otherwise.) The permissions problem is from localhost attempting to spawn a server instance possibly under a user name without execute permissions. I’ll come back if I learn more.

2 Likes

I have received a similar error message on my laptop (also Windows 64-bit), looking for that same file, which of course does not exist as there is no jenkins user on my laptop. I am using RStudio 2022.07.1+554. The issue is a little bit different, though. I can open RStudio, but if the R script is saved on a network drive, I am unable to do the simplest things, like loading libraries. It almost never completes that task for reasons I cannot understand. I do not have this problem if the R file is located on my hard drive, and running the problem files in the R console encounters no issues, so it is definitely something going wrong with RStudio.

I’m in the process of down-versioning on macOS and Ubuntu. There have been far too many difficulties with the present version. I’ll post my experience as a new, self-answered question.

I am having a similar tangential issue. I am trying to run my code and RStudio will abort mid or early run. I was using the most current release 2022.12.0+353 "Elsbeth Geranium" but switched back to 2022.07.2+576.pro12 "Spotted Wakerobin" as suggested by the original post. This did remove the system error 10053 but even after RStudio is aborting when running the code and still has the system error 2. I have stress tested my machine and it is fine and this error is repeatable on other machines. I've attached part of one of my diagnostic logs.

2023-01-16T00:07:48.410237Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%/system32, path: quarto.exe]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.410237Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%/system32, path: quarto.exe]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.418260Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%/system32, path: quarto.com]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.418260Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%/system32, path: quarto.com]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.420211Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%/system32, path: quarto.bat]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.420211Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%/system32, path: quarto.bat]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.421251Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%/system32, path: quarto.cmd]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.421251Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%/system32, path: quarto.cmd]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.421251Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%, path: quarto.exe]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.421251Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%, path: quarto.exe]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.422250Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%, path: quarto.com]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.422250Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%, path: quarto.com]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.423202Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%, path: quarto.bat]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.423202Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%, path: quarto.bat]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.424201Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%, path: quarto.cmd]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.424201Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%, path: quarto.cmd]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.425240Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%/System32/Wbem, path: quarto.exe]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.425240Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%/System32/Wbem, path: quarto.exe]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.426277Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%/System32/Wbem, path: quarto.com]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.426277Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%/System32/Wbem, path: quarto.com]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.427237Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%/System32/Wbem, path: quarto.bat]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.427237Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%/System32/Wbem, path: quarto.bat]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.427237Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%/System32/Wbem, path: quarto.cmd]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.427237Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%/System32/Wbem, path: quarto.cmd]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.428272Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SYSTEMROOT%/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0/, path: quarto.exe]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.428272Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SYSTEMROOT%/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0/, path: quarto.exe]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.429280Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SYSTEMROOT%/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0/, path: quarto.com]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.429280Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SYSTEMROOT%/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0/, path: quarto.com]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.430229Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SYSTEMROOT%/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0/, path: quarto.bat]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.430229Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SYSTEMROOT%/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0/, path: quarto.bat]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.431243Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SYSTEMROOT%/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0/, path: quarto.cmd]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.431243Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SYSTEMROOT%/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0/, path: quarto.cmd]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.432224Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SYSTEMROOT%/System32/OpenSSH/, path: quarto.exe]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.432224Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SYSTEMROOT%/System32/OpenSSH/, path: quarto.exe]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.433221Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SYSTEMROOT%/System32/OpenSSH/, path: quarto.com]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.433221Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SYSTEMROOT%/System32/OpenSSH/, path: quarto.com]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.433221Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SYSTEMROOT%/System32/OpenSSH/, path: quarto.bat]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.433221Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SYSTEMROOT%/System32/OpenSSH/, path: quarto.bat]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.434218Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SYSTEMROOT%/System32/OpenSSH/, path: quarto.cmd]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:48.434218Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SYSTEMROOT%/System32/OpenSSH/, path: quarto.cmd]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.260360Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%/system32, path: pdflatex.exe]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.260360Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%/system32, path: pdflatex.exe]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.262398Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%/system32, path: pdflatex.com]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.262398Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%/system32, path: pdflatex.com]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.263396Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%/system32, path: pdflatex.bat]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.263396Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%/system32, path: pdflatex.bat]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.264348Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%/system32, path: pdflatex.cmd]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.264348Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%/system32, path: pdflatex.cmd]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.265345Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%, path: pdflatex.exe]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.265345Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%, path: pdflatex.exe]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.266343Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%, path: pdflatex.com]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.266343Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%, path: pdflatex.com]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.267341Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%, path: pdflatex.bat]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.267341Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%, path: pdflatex.bat]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.269336Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%, path: pdflatex.cmd]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.269336Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%, path: pdflatex.cmd]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.271373Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%/System32/Wbem, path: pdflatex.exe]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.271373Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%/System32/Wbem, path: pdflatex.exe]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.272370Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%/System32/Wbem, path: pdflatex.com]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.272370Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%/System32/Wbem, path: pdflatex.com]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.274333Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%/System32/Wbem, path: pdflatex.bat]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.274333Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%/System32/Wbem, path: pdflatex.bat]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.275320Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%/System32/Wbem, path: pdflatex.cmd]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.275320Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SystemRoot%/System32/Wbem, path: pdflatex.cmd]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.276360Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SYSTEMROOT%/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0/, path: pdflatex.exe]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.276360Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SYSTEMROOT%/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0/, path: pdflatex.exe]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.277357Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SYSTEMROOT%/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0/, path: pdflatex.com]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.277357Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SYSTEMROOT%/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0/, path: pdflatex.com]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.278311Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SYSTEMROOT%/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0/, path: pdflatex.bat]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.278311Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SYSTEMROOT%/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0/, path: pdflatex.bat]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.279352Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SYSTEMROOT%/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0/, path: pdflatex.cmd]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.279352Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SYSTEMROOT%/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0/, path: pdflatex.cmd]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.281347Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SYSTEMROOT%/System32/OpenSSH/, path: pdflatex.exe]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.281347Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SYSTEMROOT%/System32/OpenSSH/, path: pdflatex.exe]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.282346Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SYSTEMROOT%/System32/OpenSSH/, path: pdflatex.com]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.282346Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SYSTEMROOT%/System32/OpenSSH/, path: pdflatex.com]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.284341Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SYSTEMROOT%/System32/OpenSSH/, path: pdflatex.bat]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769
2023-01-16T00:07:50.284341Z [rsession-orego] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified) [path: %SYSTEMROOT%/System32/OpenSSH/, path: pdflatex.bat]; OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::completeChildPath(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,class rstudio::core::FilePath &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:769

Does this happen only with knitting a .qmd quarto document or for any use?

I have a similar issue - windows 64
Fails to start with 'Elsbeth Geranium'
My fix is to uninstall RStudio, then re-install previous version 'Spotted Wakerobin'

Problem is, for some reason, RStudio reverts to 'Elsbeth Geranium' overnight, so its a bit Groundhog dayish.

My error:

2023-01-16T11:45:10.184172Z [rsession-xxxxxxx] ERROR system error 3 (The system cannot find the path specified) [path: , dcf-file: ]; OCCURRED AT auto __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::openForRead::<lambda_1724f433d51cfe6b85c7e603a9e203cb>::operator ()(void) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:1446; LOGGED FROM: void __cdecl rstudio::session::projects::`anonymous-namespace'::syncProjectFileChanges(void) C:\Users\jenkins\workspace\ide\open-source-pipeline\spotted-wakerobin\src\cpp\session\projects\SessionProjects.cpp:511
2023-01-16T15:31:06.773341Z [rsession-xxxxxxx] ERROR system error 10053 (An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine) [request-uri: /events/get_events]; OCCURRED AT void __cdecl rstudio::session::HttpConnectionImpl<class rstudio_boost::asio::ip::tcp>::sendResponse(const class rstudio::core::http::Response &) C:\Users\jenkins\workspace\ide\open-source-pipeline\spotted-wakerobin\src\cpp\session\http\SessionHttpConnectionImpl.hpp:156; LOGGED FROM: void __cdecl rstudio::session::HttpConnectionImpl<class rstudio_boost::asio::ip::tcp>::sendResponse(const class rstudio::core::http::Response &) C:\Users\jenkins\workspace\ide\open-source-pipeline\spotted-wakerobin\src\cpp\session\http\SessionHttpConnectionImpl.hpp:161
2023-01-16T15:31:06.773341Z [rsession-xxxxxxx] ERROR system error 10053 (An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine) [request-uri: /events/get_events]; OCCURRED AT void __cdecl rstudio::session::HttpConnectionImpl<class rstudio_boost::asio::ip::tcp>::sendResponse(const class rstudio::core::http::Response &) C:\Users\jenkins\workspace\ide\open-source-pipeline\spotted-wakerobin\src\cpp\session\http\SessionHttpConnectionImpl.hpp:156; LOGGED FROM: void __cdecl rstudio::session::HttpConnectionImpl<class rstudio_boost::asio::ip::tcp>::sendResponse(const class rstudio::core::http::Response &) C:\Users\jenkins\workspace\ide\open-source-pipeline\spotted-wakerobin\src\cpp\session\http\SessionHttpConnectionImpl.hpp:161

1 Like

On macOS or Linux, I would try disabling write permissions. Thanks for the note—this may be happening to me and I just haven't noticed.

I don't know macOS but at least on Linux RStudio doesn't come from a package repository and doesn't implement auto-updates so you won't get a different version unless you explicitly download the installer and install it. This would also be the case on Windows but what is described by the OP sounds like the behavior of one of those "partition freezing" software solutions that always take you back to a predefined state.

1 Like

To be honest I am not sure. I am newer at using R and R Studio and I did not even know what Quarto was. I don't think I've installed it myself. And the person who's package I am using said this to your question: "Only insofar as I saw it in your logs and googled it then. I have no idea what they are and they're not included in my code unless it's something that happens by default in packages (and possibly is new, or maybe new AND windows/mac specific)."

I did forget to mention I am working on Windows. Sorry I am not more helpful in my answer to your question!

I see that people are having somewhat different problems with the latest RStudio version. Is there an official word on these issues about whether or not they are now considered bugs? Or should we blame our computer systems before that?

Sorry I can't help with any Windows-specific stuff. I've been clean going on 20 years now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.