Rstudio has issues starting

Error Information: I have installed Rstudio and R on my Windows 8.1 but Rstudio would not work. I have all the PC requirements but it still does not open.

Description of issue - Whenever I open Rstudio, it shows a blank white page and crashes my display driver for a few seconds with a black screen. My laptop would say "The display driver stopped responding and recovered".

Attempted steps taken to fix - I have tried software rendering as mentioned in the other community discussions but it still would not work. I would only have a white screen and would have to force quit on my task manager. Is there something else that I could do to make it work?

System Information:

• RStudio Edition: Desktop
  • RStudio Version: 1.3.1073
  • OS Version: Windows 8.1
  • R Version: 4.1 (latest one)
  • Output your diagnostics report (if possible):

From RStudio Desktop Will Not Start on support.rstudio.com

2 Likes

Same problem here, i asked my teachers and no one could tell me how to fix it 🤦 shall i buy other computer?

Hey, so I figured out what the problem was for me. My laptop is not the best quality so I had to lower Rstudio to 32-bit instead of 64-bit. I don't know if this will work for you as well, but you could always do software rendering - which is pressing control as you open Rstudio and changing the rstudio settings to 32-bit (if that is an option on your settings). That is how I was able to open mine up.

1 Like

Just to clarify, you haven't "lower" RStudio to 32-bit, you just selected a different R version to work with, this is not an actual solution, just a walk around.
For others reading this, the first step to start troubleshooting this kind of issue is resetting RStudio's state

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.