RStudio lag and high memory usage by RStudio (not R session)

Hi there. Lately when I've been running RStudio, after a while there starts to be significant lag in terms of running a cell, and over time the RStudio process (not the R session process) consumes gigabytes of memory (see image below). There is no typing lag, but if I click the play button on a chunk, or do Ctrl+Enter or Ctrl+Shift+Enter, it may take 10-20 seconds for the code to actually go into the console and run. I'm not sure what's changed, but maybe you can help me debug it?

More information: I'm running R 3.6.3 (x64), RStudio 1.4.1106, and am on Windows 10. This happens in both R Notebooks and in R Markdown-- basically, whenever I'm running a chunk and there is output in the notebook already. Lately I've been working inside R Projects. I've tried reinstalling RStudio, but that didn't help.

Thanks in advance for your help!

.

I think I solved my own question! I tried deleting the .Rproj.user folder (after closing RStudio), and once I did that, RStudio got very snappy again! It seems like that folder can get corrupted somehow? I found this solution when I stumbled on this post: RStudio Desktop unresponsive in project

So, hopefully this post might amplify this solution for others who encounter it.

It turns out I was wrong! I think the real reason for the slowdown was that I was working in an R Notebook, and every time it saved, it was re-rendering the HTML, which took longer for larger R Notebooks. So when I'd try to run something, if it was still rendering from the last time, it would have to wait until that was done to re-run.

Removing the line "output: html_notebook" fixed that. You can still knit to HTML if you want, so there's no loss there.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.