Rstudio package Hmisc

Hi there, I have some problems installing the package Hmisc.

Can someone help me ?

There is a binary version available but the
 source version is later:
     binary source needs_compilation
Hmisc  4.3-1  4.4-0              TRUE

Do you want to install from sources the package which needs compilation? (Yes/no/cancel) y
installing the source package ‘Hmisc’

versuche URL 'https://cran.rstudio.com/src/contrib/Hmisc_4.4-0.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 744545 bytes (727 KB)
==================================================
downloaded 727 KB

* installing *source* package ‘Hmisc’ ...
** Paket ‘Hmisc’ erfolgreich entpackt und MD5 Summen überprüft
** using staged installation
** libs
clang -I"/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/include" -DNDEBUG   -isysroot /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk -I/usr/local/include  -fPIC  -Wall -g -O2  -c Hmisc.c -o Hmisc.o
gfortran  -fPIC  -Wall -g -O2  -c cidxcn.f -o cidxcn.o
make: gfortran: No such file or directory
make: *** [cidxcn.o] Error 1
ERROR: compilation failed for package ‘Hmisc’
* removing ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.6/Resources/library/Hmisc’
Warning in install.packages :
 installation of package ‘Hmisc’ had non-zero exit status

The downloaded source packages are in
‘/private/var/folders/r4/pjkym5210jb3y15n83hpzgd40000gn/T/RtmpYaxr63/downloaded_packages’

> install.packages("~/Downloads/Hmisc_4.4-0.tar", repos = NULL)
Error in install.packages : type == "both" cannot be used with 'repos = NULL'

Hi, and welcome!

Please see the FAQ: What's a reproducible example (`reprex`) and how do I do one? Using a reprex, complete with representative data will attract quicker and more answers. This question, however, doesn't require one.

This is a common problem for MAC users, due to Apple's non-standard compiler: while install from source sometimes works, it often fails in just this way. Saint Simon Urbanek of the R Core Development Team relieves us of the brain damage required to tweak the source to work on our platform to create binary files that just run. No such love for packages that aren't yet on CRAN of course. It normally takes 7-10 days.

My rule of thumb is to take the option to compile from source the first time it's offered, and if that fails to turn it down the second time.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.