RStudio quits unexpectedly under macOS Catalina

Since very recently when I quit RStudio in a normal way I am receiving a crash message that RStudio quit unexpectedly. This was not happening before and I did not have to do any upgrades or anything. Is anyone experiencing similar?

I am under the latest macOS Catalina and RStudio 1.2.5033.

Hi, and welcome!

Please see the FAQ: What's a reproducible example (`reprex`) and how do I do one? Using a reprex, complete with representative data will attract quicker and more answers. This question, though, doesn't require one.

I'm not getting this on my Airbook 2015, under R.3.6.3 notarized and RStudio 1.3.820 with the default global options General | Advanced | OS Integration settings, but I saw one other report of similar behavior.

What's does your sessionInfo() show?

Thanks so much for helping with this! What worked in the end is the following:

  • complete removal of both R and RStudio
  • clean install of R 3.6.3 notarized
  • clean install of Rstudio 1.2.5033

It is not 100% clear to me what exactly means "the RStudio Global options software graphics", above, but I did change Options > General > Advanced > Rendering engine to Software instead of the default Auto-detect

1 Like

Interestingly, previously, when I tried to change from Autodetect RStudio crashed. I do not dare to experiment :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

We're aligned, except, possibly for the graphics card (Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB), which doesn't show.

R version 3.6.3 (2020-02-29)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0 (64-bit)
Running under: macOS Catalina 10.15.3

Matrix products: default
BLAS:   /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.6/Resources/lib/libRblas.0.dylib
LAPACK: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.6/Resources/lib/libRlapack.dylib

locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base     

loaded via a namespace (and not attached):
[1] compiler_3.6.3

Again, there are two R3.6.3 versions, and I'm using the notarized package.

Installing the notarized version, if you installed the other, and using the RStudio Global options software graphics if your graphics device is different may help. Please report back and mark your answer as a solution, if joy ensues, or I'll see if I can get someone in the RStudio shop to look at the issue.

Preformatted text R version 3.6.3 (2020-02-29)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0 (64-bit)
Running under: macOS Catalina 10.15.4

Matrix products: default
BLAS:   /System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Versions/A/libBLAS.dylib
LAPACK: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.6/Resources/lib/libRlapack.dylib

locale:
[1] en_GB.UTF-8/en_GB.UTF-8/en_GB.UTF-8/C/en_GB.UTF-8/en_GB.UTF-8

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base     

loaded via a namespace (and not attached):
[1] compiler_3.6.3 tools_3.6.3   

Great, please mark your last post as the solution for the benefit of those to follow.

Autodetect might work now that the notarized version is installed, if you want to experiment. Easy enough to revert (says the man who actually hasn't tried it himself.)