RStudio running in KVM Virtual Machine (Ubuntu 18): Barely useable

Hi,

I'm running RStudio 1.2.5001 in a VM running Ubuntu 18.04.1. (10 GiB of RAM)

RStudio is barely usable because whenever Copy-Paste into RStudio is performed it hangs for 30+ seconds after which a copy may or may not have succeeded. This happens for both guest-guest copy-paste (i.e. copy-paste inside the VM) or host-guest copy-paste (i.e. copy-paste between the host machine and the VM).

The first 4-5 pastes after restart may actually succeed, but after that it's curtains.

It may also arbitrarily hang for a few seconds when typing in the Console.

There is no particular I/O or CPU activity and other processes in the VM do not exhibit that behaviour.

I have noticed that restarting the "spice-vdagentd" daemon process when RStudio hangs immediately brings it back to life (the paste is lost though), so there may be a problem interworking with the clipboard.

Is there something I can try to keep working without ripping my hair out...

You could try setting the environment variable

RSTUDIO_NO_CLIPBOARD_MONITORING=1

to try and avoid this issue. For example:

RSTUDIO_NO_CLIPBOARD_MONITORING=1 /usr/lib/rstudio/bin/rstudio

Thanks.

This feels good so far .. host-to-guest VM copy&paste is still not working reliably but at there are no "freezes" anymore. Currently not using RStudio heavily, will see when that task is back on the menu.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.