RStudio session failed to start

Error Information:

Description of issue -
I've used RStudio for many years without problem. I was using it yesterday without problem; then, it crashed and won't restart. I've reinstalled R and RStudio. I believe that I have removed all RStudio state files. But, these steps did not work.

I have no idea how debug and fix this. I'm at a loss. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Attempted steps taken to fix -

System Information:

• RStudio Edition: Desktop
  • RStudio Version: RStudio 2023.09.1+494 "Desert Sunflower " (cd7011dc, 2023-10-16) for macOS
  • OS Version: macOS Sonoma 14.1.1
  • R Version: R version 4.3.2 (2023-10-31) -- "Eye Holes"
  • Output your diagnostics report (if possible):

From RStudio Desktop Will Not Start on support.rstudio.com

R Session Startup Failure Report

RStudio Version

RStudio 2023.09.1+494 "Desert Sunflower " (cd7011dc, 2023-10-16) for macOS

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) RStudio/2023.09.1+494 Chrome/116.0.5845.190 Electron/26.2.4 Safari/537.36

Error message

[No error available]

Process Output

The R session exited with code 1.

Error output:

[No errors emitted]

Standard output:

[No output emitted]

Logs

/Users/dhendry/.local/share/rstudio/log/rsession-dhendry.log

URL 'https://www.rstudio.org/links/check_for_update?version=2023.09.1%2B494&os=mac&format=kvp': status was 'Couldn't resolve host name'
Execution halted
]; OCCURRED AT void rstudio::session::modules::updates::(anonymous namespace)::endRPCUpdateCheck(const json::JsonRpcFunctionContinuation &, const core::system::ProcessResult &) src/cpp/session/modules/SessionUpdates.cpp:143; LOGGED FROM: void rstudio::session::modules::updates::(anonymous namespace)::endRPCUpdateCheck(const json::JsonRpcFunctionContinuation &, const core::system::ProcessResult &) src/cpp/session/modules/SessionUpdates.cpp:145

I figured it out: Delete this directory and everything is back to normal: ~/.share/rstudio

2 Likes

I had the same exact issue, thank you so much!

Hello, how did you 'delete' the directory exactly? I am receiving the same error message, but it comes in the form of a popup with nowhere to edit. Thanks in advance

I did this in Terminal and used some bash. Another thing to note is that, I think the directory is hidden so when you are in your directory of interest, you can try to run the ls -althr command.

sorry, I have the same problem! I can't open Studio for an error in starting R so how can I do? I'm desperate :(.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.