Selection on a database

Greetings !

Is it possible to do a selection in RStudio ? Like if I have a column year going from 1990 to 2017, is it possible to do the mean of the observations in 1990 only ?

Kind regards

simco

Welcome to the community!

It is indeed possible in R, which is the programming language, of which RStudio is an IDE.

If you have a column named year in a data frame df, and you want mean of the column obs, then you can do mean(x = df$obs[df$year == 1990]). Obviously, there are many other ways to do the same.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your quick answer !

And to add another condition ? Like here I have the method of cultivation that can be either Organic or conventional ? So for example, if I want to calculate the mean of the surface of organic cultivation in 1990, I tried :
mean (a$Surface [a$Annee==1990,a$Methode=="Organic farming"])
But it doesn't work :frowning:

To combine conditions, you'll need & for intersection and | for union. So, try with mean(a$Surface[a$Annee==1990 & a$Methode=="Organic farming"]).

Perfect ! Thanks again ! Is the way I marked read alright ?

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.