Service Unavailable (HTTP 503) message with the "gdscrapeR" pkg...

Hi all.
Hoping someone here has some experience with "Service Unavailable/503" error codes.
I'm pretty sure this has something to do with my attempts to scrape the text, but I've tried to manually scrape some reviews on a company and got a similar error message, and now with the dedicated shell of functionality package that is Glassdoor specific in build, the "gdscrapeR" from the git repos.

Here is my code:

#install.packages("devtools")
#devtools::install_github("mguideng/gdscrapeR")
library(gdscrapeR)
library(rvest)
library(dplyr)

#gdscraper has a single function: "get_reviews"
?get_reviews
gd_appcast <- get_reviews(companyNum = "E1085934")
#Glassdoors' review page #'s are typically characters between "Reviews-" and ".htm" (usually starts with an 'E' and followed by up to seven digits).

...And here is the error msg:

"Number of web pages to scrape:
Show Traceback
Error in read_html.response(httr::GET(paste(baseurl, companyNum, sort, : Service Unavailable (HTTP 503).
15. stop(http_condition(x, "error", task = task, call = call))
14. httr::stop_for_status(x)
13. read_html.response(httr::GET(paste(baseurl, companyNum, sort, sep = "")))
12. xml2::read_html(httr::GET(paste(baseurl, companyNum, sort, sep = "")))
11. html_elements(...)
10. html_nodes(., ".tightVert.floatLt strong, .margRtSm.margBot.minor, .col-6.my-0 span")
9. xml_text(x, trim = trim)
8. html_text(.)
7. is.factor(x)
6. gsub("Found , reviews", "", .)
5. is.factor(x)
4. sub(",", "", .)
3. xml2::read_html(httr::GET(paste(baseurl, companyNum, sort, sep = ""))) %>%
html_nodes(".tightVert.floatLt strong, .margRtSm.margBot.minor, .col-6.my-0 span") %>%
html_text() %>% gsub("Found |,| reviews", "", .) %>% sub(",",
"", .) %>% as.integer()
2. get_maxResults(companyNum)

1. get_reviews(companyNum = "E1085934")
    "

Any thoughts?
Aside, I can C+P the url into a new browser window and it opens just fine....but running this code (AND a manual scrape using Rvest/Purrr et al) throws this or similar denial of service errors...

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.