shiny-server Error loading config: ... does not have permission

Shiny server version "Shiny Server v1.5.11.0" "Node.js v8.11.3"
Rstudio server version 99.9.9

$ shiny-server
[2019-01-16T21:41:17.764] [INFO] shiny-server - Shiny Server v1.5.11.0 (Node.js v8.11.3)
[2019-01-16T21:41:17.773] [INFO] shiny-server - Using config file "/etc/shiny-server/shiny-server.conf"
[2019-01-16T21:41:18.009] [ERROR] shiny-server - Error loading config: The user 'user' does not have permissions to run applications as one of the users in 'shiny'. Please restart shiny-server as one of the users in  'shiny'. (/etc/shiny-server/shiny-server.conf:2:1)
[2019-01-16T21:41:18.011] [INFO] shiny-server - Shutting down worker processes

my user was added to group shiny via:

sudo groupadd shiny-apps
sudo usermod -aG shiny-apps user
sudo usermod -aG shiny-apps shiny
cd /srv/shiny-server
sudo chown -R user:shiny-apps .
sudo chmod g+w .
sudo chmod g+s .

I must confess this is my first time installing rstudio-server and shiny-server via setting up shiny server on raspberry pi, so understandably I am a little lost however if you can point me in the right direction to fix this error message would be greatly appreciated.

You are not supposed to use this command shiny-server if you are trying to check the shiny-server status then use this command instead sudo systemctl status shiny-server otherwise you have to access your shiny apps from a web browser with http:/your.ip/3838/your_app_folder

1 Like

Ok, fair enough :slight_smile: haha, woops, can I have my training wheel back please?

So in other words, I have to build the shiny app like a webpage... Interesting.

Is not a web page is a web app (with server side dinamic responses), but the interesting part is that you can built it using R, no html or Javascript knowledge is needed.

I use shiny apps manly as GUIs to interact with my postgresql database and dashboards for key performances indexes

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.