Small white rectangle appearing on upper left side of RStudio, what the heck!!??

Hello,

A small white rectangle appears and disappears, seemingly randomly, in the same location in RStudio. I've been a user for years and have never seen or heard of such a thing. Also, I cannot find anything about it on the web. Has anyone seen this or know how to get rid of it?

4 Likes

That's bizarre. The only suggestion I have is to update RStudio if you haven't already. Maybe a restart, too?

Unfortunately, I have tried those :slight_smile: Thanks for the response, though.

Have you tried software rendering? Sounds like it could be a GPU glitch. https://support.rstudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017886674-Troubleshooting-RStudio-Rendering-Errors

1 Like

I'm experiencing the same issue with RStudio IDE server 2022.07.1 Build 554 running on Ubuntu server 20.04 LTS, being the server version there is no software rendering option I can try.

The small white rectangle has appeared in just one Rmd file, if I open other files it is not present.

1 Like

I have the same thing. Mac M1, everything updated. There don’t seem to be any problems though.

to my eyes it looks almost like a small checkbox control. Is it something that can be right clicked, and therefore inspected via "inspect element" (if perhaps it is something being placed there in the html, rather than a glitch of another type)

It can't be right-clicked, I have noticed what I think is a reproducible pattern though, it appears next to words highlighted for spell checking when you pass the cursor over them and if you scroll stays in the same position on the screen.

2 Likes

I have seen this too. In my case, I'm running RStudio 2022.07.0 Build 548 on a Windows 10 Dell laptop. I've only seen this when I'm working at home and have RStudio running on an external monitor. The monitor is about 12-15 years old and requires a converter from HDMI at the computer. I don't even remember the name of the kind of port on the monitor. The square randomly appears sometimes, not every time. It does not happen in my office when RStudio is running on a new LG external monitor with HDMI port.

I've noticed this pattern also.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.