Sparklyr tbl_change_db Error - Database NotFound

Hi All,

I've the following simple setup and it was all working fine, but getting error.

AWS EMR Cluster (1 master, 2 slaves) with hadoop, spark, hive,hue
Edge Node - Installed RStudio Server

Connected from browser to Rstudio Server and executed following

library(sparklyr)
library(dplyr)
sc <- spark_connect(master = "yarn")

This connection is Successfull, but not showing any databases in Connection. But i used to type the following to switch to another Hive database. I'm using AWS Glue Catalog for Hive tables.

tbl_change_db(sc,"db name").

This used to switch to the given database and i was able to see all the tables, and was able to get the data from tables.

But now, this is not working...even i've created a entire setup again (new Rstudio and EMR)

Getting following exception:

tbl_change_db(sc,"db-test")
Error: org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.analysis.NoSuchDatabaseException: Database 'db-test' not found;
at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.catalog.SessionCatalog.org$apache$spark$sql$catalyst$catalog$SessionCatalog$$requireDbExists(SessionCatalog.scala:178)
at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.catalog.SessionCatalog.setCurrentDatabase(SessionCatalog.scala:260)
at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.command.SetDatabaseCommand.run(databases.scala:59)
at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.command.ExecutedCommandExec.sideEffectResult$lzycompute(commands.scala:70)
at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.command.ExecutedCommandExec.sideEffectResult(commands.scala:68)
at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.command.ExecutedCommandExec.executeCollect(commands.scala:79)
at org.apache.spark.sql.Dataset$$anonfun$6.apply(Dataset.scala:195)
at org.apache.spark.sql.Dataset$$anonfun$6.apply(Dataset.scala:195)
at org.apache.spark.sql.Dataset$$anonfun$53.apply(Dataset.scala:3365)
at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.SQLExecution$$anonfun$withNewExecutionId$1.apply(SQLExecution.scala:78)
at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.SQLExecution$.withSQLConfPropagated(SQLExecution.scala:125)
at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.SQLExecution$.withNewExecutionId(SQLExecution.scala:73)
at org.apache.spark.sql.Dataset.withAction(Dataset.scala:3364)
at org.apache.spark.sql.Dataset.(Dataset.scala:195)
at org.apache.spark.sql.Dataset$.ofRows(Dataset.scala:80)
at org.apache.spark.sql.SparkSession.sql(SparkSession.scala:642)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at sparklyr.Invoke.invoke(invoke.scala:139)
at sparklyr.StreamHandler.handleMethodCall(stream.scala:123)
at sparklyr.StreamHandler.read(stream.scala:66)
at sparklyr.BackendHandler.channelRead0(handler.scala:51)
at sparklyr.BackendHandler.channelRead0(handler.scala:4)
at io.netty.channel.SimpleChannelInboundHandler.channelRead(SimpleChannelInboundHandler.java:105)
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:362)
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:348)
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.fireChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:340)
at io.netty.handler.codec.MessageToMessageDecoder.channelRead(MessageToMessageDecoder.java:102)
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:362)
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:348)
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.fireChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:340)
at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.fireChannelRead(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:310)
at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.channelRead(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:284)
at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline$HeadContext.channelRead(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:1359)
at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.fireChannelRead(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:935)
at io.netty.channel.nio.AbstractNioByteChannel$NioByteUnsafe.read(AbstractNioByteChannel.java:138)
at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKey(NioEventLoop.java:645)
at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeysOptimized(NioEventLoop.java:580)
at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeys(NioEventLoop.java:497)
at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.run(NioEventLoop.java:459)
at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$5.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:858)
at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultThreadFactory$DefaultRunnableDecorator.run(DefaultThreadFactory.java:138)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Any help to resolve this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Asif

Could you try the latest devel version? devtools::install_github("rstudio/sparklyr")

Installed devel version with your given command, still getting same 'Database NotFound".

I see following in Log

19/02/07 04:15:29 INFO SharedState: loading hive config file: file:/etc/spark/conf/hive-site.xml
19/02/07 04:15:29 INFO SharedState: Setting hive.metastore.warehouse.dir ('null') to the value of spark.sql.warehouse.dir ('hdfs:///user/spark/warehouse').
19/02/07 04:15:29 INFO SharedState: Warehouse path is 'hdfs:///user/spark/warehouse'.
19/02/07 04:15:29 INFO JettyUtils: Adding filter org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.webproxy.amfilter.AmIpFilter to /SQL.
19/02/07 04:15:29 INFO JettyUtils: Adding filter org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.webproxy.amfilter.AmIpFilter to /SQL/json.
19/02/07 04:15:29 INFO JettyUtils: Adding filter org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.webproxy.amfilter.AmIpFilter to /SQL/execution.
19/02/07 04:15:29 INFO JettyUtils: Adding filter org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.webproxy.amfilter.AmIpFilter to /SQL/execution/json.
19/02/07 04:15:29 INFO JettyUtils: Adding filter org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.webproxy.amfilter.AmIpFilter to /static/sql.
19/02/07 04:15:29 INFO StateStoreCoordinatorRef: Registered StateStoreCoordinator endpoint
19/02/07 04:15:30 INFO CodeGenerator: Code generated in 226.9884 ms
19/02/07 04:16:28 INFO ExecutorAllocationManager: Request to remove executorIds: 2, 1
19/02/07 04:16:42 ERROR sparklyr: Backend (93093) failed calling sql on 10

when i try to connect to master as 'yarn-cluster' or 'yarn-client' its working.

library(sparklyr)
library(dplyr)
sc <- spark_connect(master = "yarn-client")
---This works---

library(sparklyr)
library(dplyr)
sc <- spark_connect(master = "yarn-cluster")
--- This Works too--

I have been trying to connect by using just "master = "yarn"", when i do this and try to change table i get Error

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.