Surnames in YAML header of R Markdown documents

In the YAML header, when typing in an author's name (e.g., Jonathan Callum Barnes), is there a way to specify aliases and/or to specify a particular part of the author's name to be used for indexing purposes? As an example, defining the surname (Barnes) as an index by which posts, etc. should be categorised? I feel it's a bit cumbersome to index by an author's full name and I want a way to quickly refer to (and categorise by) individual authors without having to give their full name.

What do you mean by index ? Are you using PDF output ?

What would you expect ?

I am not familiar with all this I think, so I need to understand better before trying to answer

Sorry, I should clarify: I mean in the context of, say, a blog or website where a post (or page) might have multiple authors, with authors mentioning other authors in text. So, if "Ursula K. Le Guin" were a contributor to the site, if I were to mention "Le Guin" in a post, the site would know that "Le Guin" is the index term being used to refer to that particular contributor and clicking on their name would link to a page listing all their contributions to the site (posts, etc.). So, "for indexing purposes," I mean specifying that a particular part of an author's full name is the accepted shortened form for referring to them on the site.

Thanks for the precision.

How do you create an index usually ?

I really don't know how to do what you are describing, maybe others will know

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.