systemd on WSL2 Desktop

Hello. I'm running R 4.0.3 on the latest RStudio from within Ubuntu 20.04 on Windows via WSL2 (whew!). GUI is provided via the GWSL project (an X system).

Rstudio and R work very well in this environment. But there's one warning message that keeps getting repeated over and over again:

System has not been booted with systemd as init system (PID 1). Can't operate.
Failed to create bus connection: Host is down

It doesn't effect my results, but it obscures what I'm working on because it is constantly being repeated.

Some searches have led to the finding that WSL2 on Windows doesn't enable systemd, which I understand is system for background task processes. But I'm not running things in the background -- just Rstudio in the foreground (of course I launch some parallel tasks occassionally using foreach and doParallel, but I get the error irrespective of whether or not I do parallel processing).

Has anyone encountered this?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.

It should be noted also that we don't officially support running on WSL.
But could folks running into this issue help the RStudio IDE team by reporting this problem on github issues?

I don't see this issue previously reported.
The team has a step by step guide to writing bug reports below. That'll help them reproduce and diagnose the issue.