Tensorflow in R

Hello,

I am trying to install tensorflow in R. I am able to install tensorflow package through github devtools::install_github("rstudio/tensorflow"). But when i am trying to install the tensorflow by using
install_tensorflow() function, I am encountering with the following error.

library(tensorflow)

reticulate::use_python("/opt/local/tools/python/Python-3.6.3/bin/python3.6")
install_tensorflow()
Error: Prerequisites for installing TensorFlow not available.
Please install the following Python packages before proceeding: pip, virtualenv

Does this error means to install the pip, virtualenv packages in R or it should be installed in python version. This packages are already installed in our python which is installed under /opt/local/tools/python/Python-3.6.3/bin/python3.6

The default system level python is installed under /usr/bin/python .

Could anyone help me how to get resolve this error ?

Thanks in advance!

It means you need to install the python versions.

Are you on linux system? In that case the below may help which is taken from a Docker file that installs R Tensorflow, and if you are say on MacOS then it should at least point you in the right direction, but I guess you need homebrew or similar:

# install cron and nano and tensorflow and tflearn
RUN apt-get update && apt-get install -y \
    cron nano \
    python-pip python-dev libhdf5-dev \
    && pip install cython \
    && pip install numpy \
    && pip install pandas \
    && export TF_BINARY_URL=https://storage.googleapis.com/tensorflow/linux/cpu/tensorflow-1.0.0-cp27-none-linux_x86_64.whl \
    && pip install --upgrade $TF_BINARY_URL \
    && pip install git+https://github.com/tflearn/tflearn.git \

&& pip install feather-format \
    && pip install h5py \

2 Likes

I am not sure whether this is the correct solution, but I installed Anaconda Python 3.6 and then installed tensorflow in python using

conda install tensorflow

All dependencies were installed.
Then I installed keras in Python using

pip install keras

This was followed by

install.packages(keras)

in R which included tensorflow as a dependency. Now I can use keras from R without any errors. I have not used tensorflow explicitly.

Hi,

Out of curiosity any reason why you chose to use both pip and conda to install keras and tensorflow instead of just conda or pip alone ?

1 Like
conda install keras 

does not work.

pip install keras 

works.

Apparently

conda install -c conda-forge keras tensorflow

should work but I did not use it.

1 Like

The previous answers suggested that you install TensorFlow using Python tools like pip and conda.

However, the R package tensorflow makes this very easy, and will install all of the Python dependencies using a built-in function:

library(tensorflow)
install_tensorflow()
2 Likes