tidymodels code for ridge, lasso, and elastic net using glmnet

I want to verify the code to specify a ridge model, a lasso model, and an elastic net model, using parsnip and glmnet and the penalty and mixture arguments.

I am confused because the documentation states:

• mixture : The proportion of L1 regularization in the model.
    and
  • mixture : A number between zero and one (inclusive) that represents the proportion of regularization that is used for the L2 penalty (i.e. weight decay, or ridge regression) versus L1 (the lasso) ( glmnet and spark only).

So I am not sure if the mixture represents the proportion of L1 or L2.

1. Is this the correct specification for a ridge model?
linear_reg(penalty = .10, mixture = 0) %>% # mixture = 0 meaning no L1 penalty 
  set_mode("regression") %>% 
  set_engine("glmnet") %>% 
  fit(y ~ ., data = dta)
  1. Is this the correct specification for a lasso model?
linear_reg(penalty = .10, mixture = 1) %>% # mixture = 1 meaning no L2 penalty 
  set_engine("glmnet") %>% 
  fit(y ~ ., data = dta)
  1. Is this the correct specification for an elastic net model?
linear_reg(penalty = .10, mixture = .6) %>% # this is a mixture of both L1 and L2. Is it 60% L1 or 60% L2?
  set_engine("glmnet") %>% 
  fit(y ~ ., data = dta)
1 Like

Assuming mixture works the same as alpha in glmnet::glmnet, 0 is L2 (ridge) only and 1 is L1 (lasso) only and anything in between is a proportional mixture of both. This would be consistent with the first description of mixture. Hopefully Max will drop by and provide a definitive answer. The documentation could probably be clarified both to make the two mixture descriptions consistent and also to explicitly state which is which, e.g., 0=L2 only and 1=L1 only.

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it. I believe you are correct, although a definitive answer would be great.

Yes, mixture = alpha. We're going to document these details a little more definitively.

You can also see this via the translate() function:

library(parsnip)

linear_reg(mixture = .1) %>% 
  set_engine("glmnet") %>% 
  translate()
#> Linear Regression Model Specification (regression)
#> 
#> Main Arguments:
#>   mixture = 0.1
#> 
#> Computational engine: glmnet 
#> 
#> Model fit template:
#> glmnet::glmnet(x = missing_arg(), y = missing_arg(), weights = missing_arg(), 
#>     alpha = 0.1, family = "gaussian")

Created on 2020-02-29 by the reprex package (v0.3.0)

1 Like

Thank you, Max! And thanks for sharing the translate() function, that is extremely helpful!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.