tidyverse package not loading

I was using RStudio all day on my desktop and it was working fine. In the evening, when I tried loading the tidyverse library, it showed me this error message:

Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘tidyverse’ in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...): unable to load shared object '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/library/Rcpp/libs/Rcpp.so': dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/library/Rcpp/libs/Rcpp.so, 6): Symbol not found: _EXTPTR_PTR Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/library/Rcpp/libs/Rcpp.so Expected in: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib/libR.dylib in /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/library/Rcpp/libs/Rcpp.so

I tried uninstalling and re-installing the package, I deleted and re-installed the entire app and tried loading all the individual tidyverse libraries separately. The same error showed up for the tidyr and readr packages.

What should I do?

I once had this same problem. If you're using a MacBook you need to update your Xcode.
If you're on a Windows I'd recommend you download a lower version of R.

Thank you for responding. But I don't have Xcode. Do I need to download it to continue using RStudio?

Hi! I spent a long time today trying to figure this out. When nothing else worked, I updated my RStudio (which did not help either). However, after that, I update my R version and that fixed the issue for me.

Oh my god! Updating my R version worked! Thank you so much!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.