I wanted to try the quickstart for sandboxing tagging, and I followed the directions, installed virtualbox (6.0.4 on Mac OS X Sierra 10.12.6), imported the .ova file, and got to the "Getting Started" page without incident.
But when I clicked the blue "Log Into RStudio Connect" button and was taken to "http://localhost:5000/rsconnect/" it did a spinner, which soon turned into "Something happened! The service should have started by now." and eventually to an error saying that to make it work on my machine, I needed to install a preview license. I'm actually pretty impressed that it was still trying to make things work!
Anyway, it sent me to the get license page, which worked, but the final step is to copy the XML from the VirtualBox to the webapp and hooboy is that not a straightforward process. I have no experience with VirtualBox, and I was frustrated, so I won't claim to have tried everything or...understood all the directions I found on the Oracle fora, but I spent hours on it (installing extensions and guest packages and restarting and reimporting) and eventually gave up. I realize this is not the fault of RStudio, but I also know that it's not the experience you want your users to have. So I'd like to hear thoughts about workarounds (I will be looking into SSHing into the Virtualbox today), and wanted to see if others are experiencing this problem.