Troubleshoot RStudio Server Installation - verify-installation incorrectly reports server is running

I've installed RStudio Server for Ubuntu 20.04, rstudio-server-1.4.1106-amd64.deb; however, it isn't working correctly and I am not getting any useful errors to troubleshoot my issue. I have configured my rserver.conf as follows

# /etc/rstudio/rserver.conf
rsession-which-r=/usr/local/bin/R-devel/bin/R  # I want to use a devel version that I've install here
www-port=8787

I've verified that it's listening on the correct port using netstat -natp. When I stop the server and try verify-installation, I get a message that it's still running:

jwokaty@supermicro:~$ sudo rstudio-server stop
jwokaty@supermicro:~$ sudo rstudio-server status
● rstudio-server.service - RStudio Server
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/rstudio-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: inactive (dead) since Fri 2021-05-28 16:47:54 EDT; 26min ago
    Process: 3622565 ExecStart=/usr/lib/rstudio-server/bin/rserver (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Process: 3622624 ExecStop=/usr/bin/killall -TERM rserver (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   Main PID: 3622568
      Tasks: 0 (limit: 629145)
     Memory: 22.2M
     CGroup: /system.slice/rstudio-server.service

May 28 16:46:42 supermicro systemd[1]: Starting RStudio Server...
May 28 16:46:42 supermicro systemd[1]: Started RStudio Server.
May 28 16:47:54 supermicro systemd[1]: Stopping RStudio Server...
May 28 16:47:54 supermicro systemd[1]: rstudio-server.service: Succeeded.
May 28 16:47:54 supermicro systemd[1]: Stopped RStudio Server.
jwokaty@supermicro:~$ sudo rstudio-server verify-installation
Server is running and must be stopped before running verify-installation

I've also set up logging, but I don't seem to be getting any error messages.

# /etc/rstudio/logging.conf
[*]
log-level=debug
logger-type=syslog

[@rserver]
log-dir=/var/log/rstudio-server
log-level=debug
logger-type=file
max-size-mb=10
rotate=1

[file-locking]
log-dir=/var/log/file-locking
log-file-mode=600

I get a timeout when I attempt to visit my server on the given port. I would appreciation suggestions to troubleshoot my issue.

Howdy!! And welcome to RStudio Community @jwokaty !

Unfortunately, this is due to an intermittent bug we have where the rserver process does not clean itself up properly. The way to fix it is to look for running rserver processes:

ps -ef | grep rserver

And then kill the offending processes:

kill <PID OF PROCESS>
# or more extreme
kill -9 <PID OF PROCESS>

I hope that helps! Please let us know if you keep running into trouble! We will do what we can to see if there is a way to reproduce this issue and prevent this type of thing from happening!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.