Trying to combine multiple .xlsx files into a single dataframe, using a key value to signify specific cell ranges. Then converting from long to wide.

I'm fairly new to R so excuse any shortsightedness here.

I have about 57 .xlsx files sitting in the same directory. They all have the same structure and formatting, with some of the cell ranges off by 1 or 2 between files, and I don't want to combine all of the data found in each file, I only want to combine specific cell ranges from each file into a Master Excel file as output later on.

This workflow will be something I spend a lot of time doing every month, so I'd like to write some R code to automate most of the manual work.

I need help figuring out a way to ingest all of the individual Excel files, selecting specific cell ranges based on 4 unique key values (the key values are the same cost codes across all files, but represent 4 different ranges (54, 55, 56, 58) in each file), combining them into a single dataframe, then pivoting from long to wide.

I basically need to isolate these 4 cell ranges and drop the rest of the file's data, then combine and pivot each file's extracted ranges into a wide format where each unique file represents one observation in the new dataframe. A new column that provides the original filename would be great too.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

All data is Double. All data is found in 1 sheet. The 4 row ranges I need to keep are rows where the key value is 54, 55, 56 and 58. In every file.

After a day of researching, this is all I've got so far and I just can't make any progress:

# Loads your packages
library(readxl)
library(tidyr)
library(readr)
library(dplyr)

# Sets the file path for your files to be loaded from
setwd(directory)

# Creates a list in RStudio of all of the files for you to check against
my_files <- list.files(pattern = "*.xlsx")
read_excel('filename.xlsx', col_types = "numeric", col_names = TRUE, 
           range = "A38:C38", "A51:C51", "A75:C75", "A102:C102")

read_excel('filename', sheet =1, col_names = TRUE, 
           range = "A37:C37", "A50:C50", "A75:C75", "A102:C102")

Hi @Pandamonium,
Unless your 57 files are HUGE I think your best approach is to read in the whole sheet from each file, and then do the subsetting within R before joining and pivoting. It’s hard to provide further help unless we have access to the data files.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.