tsCV Function in R

Suppose I have the following data:

library(forecast)
library(lubridate)

set.seed(123)

weeks <- rep(seq(as.Date("2010-01-01"), as.Date("2023-01-01"), by = "week"), each = 1)
counts <- rpois(length(weeks), lambda = 50)
df <- data.frame(Week = as.character(weeks), Count = counts)

# Convert Week column to Date format
df$Week <- as.Date(df$Week)

# Create a time series object
ts_data <- ts(df$Count, frequency = 52, start = c(year(min(df$Week)), 1))

I am trying to learn how to use "Rolling Cross Validation" for Time Series Models (e.g. ARIMA) in R.

As I understand, this involves (ordering the data in chronological order):

• Fit a model to the first 60 data points, predict the next 5 and record the error
  • Next, fit a model model to the first 65 points, predict the next 5 and record the error
  • etc.

Previously, I had tried to write the R code myself for implementing this procedure (Correctly Using the Window() Functions in R)- however, this appeared to be difficult and I am now interested in seeing if there are any ready-made implementations of such a procedure.

While looking on the internet, I found the following function that I think might be able to accomplish the desired task : R: Time series cross-validation

I tried to run this function on my data:

# note: I am specifically interested in using the auto.arima() function
far2 <- function(x, h){forecast(auto.arima(x), h=h)}
e <- tsCV(ts_data, far2, h=5)

The code seems to be running - But I am not sure if I am doing this correctly.

For example:

• Is this code fitting a time series model on the first 5 points, predicts next 5, record error - then fits model on first 10 points, predicts next 5, record error, etc.?
  • From here, when the code finishes running - do I need to manually calculate the MAE and RMSE errors myself?

Can someone please comment on this?

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 42 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.