Unable to connect Shinyapps.io to Oracle DB

I've created an R Shiny application that successfully pulls data from my firm's Oracle Database (32 bit). My machine is running Oracle 32 bit 11.2g client, and I've established a Microsoft ODBC connection in R Studio (R-3.6.1 for Windows 32 bit) by using the System DSN name, Uid, and password.

My app, however, only succeeds when run locally. When I try and deploy the application on shinyapps.io I receive the following error:

"Error in value [3L] :
nanodbc/nanodbc.cpp:983: 00000: [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found, and no default driver specified "

I've attempted to establish a connection without the DSN by supplying the Driver, Server, Database, Uid, Password, and Port. But this provides the following error:

"Error: nanodbc/nanodbc.cpp:983: IM006: [Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed"

I've been reviewing other posts on the R Studio Community and StackOverflow (Post 1, Post 2, Post 3), I checked the "Databases using R" website, and I've referenced the shinyapps.io user guide. Right now I'm quite at a loss of how to proceed and would greatly appreciate some assistance!

For reference, I'm currently using the free version of shinyapps.io to host my Shiny apps. To connect with the Oracle DB in R Studio I've been using the DBI (Version 1.1.0) and ODBC (Version 1.2.2) packages from CRAN.

2 Likes

Hi,

What program are you using on your local? Windows/Mac/Linux?

I am running into the same thing with my Windows and the issue I am still investigating is the package versions on your local isn't consistent with shinyapps.io