Unable to upload dataframe with odbc

dbi

Hello there,

I am able to connect to my database using odbc, but I get a strange error when I try to upload a dataframe there. See below:

library(odbc)
library(DBI)
library(tibble)
library(dplyr)
library(readr)
con <- dbConnect(odbc::odbc(), "DV_MYDV", dbname = "mydb")

the connection works:

dbListTables(con)
[1] "version" "NewTestTable"
[3] "test1" "test2"
[5] "test3" "testtable1"

however, uploading a dataframe fails. How is it possible? I can easily create tables with SQL queries such as "CREATE TABLE etc".

dbWriteTable(con, name = "iris", value = as.data.frame(dataframe), overwrite = TRUE)
Error in new_result(connection@ptr, statement) :
nanodbc/nanodbc.cpp:1665: HY000: Table creation not allowed.

This is annoying because I need to upload large dataframes to my database. Working row by row would not be efficient.

Thanks!

I wouldn't recommend to use dbWriteTable() or copy_to() for large table uploads. Ideally, we would like to keep the data transformation inside the database and not in R, this can be done using dplyr: http://db.rstudio.com/overview

May I ask what operation do you need to do in R and then upload to the DB?

hi @edgararuiz thanks for helping. no, the point is that i have access to a remote database and I need to upload a dataframe there so that I can merge with other tables there . so using writetable or others is necessary. what i don't understand is that i am able to create tables with sql statements, but somehow dbwritetable cant. any ideas? thanks!!

How have you tested CREATE TABLE directly against the database, using dbSendQuery()?

actually when I try to write a table with dbsendquery, studio crashes entirely. this is weird, as i am able to run a "write table" query in python with pyodbc cursor.execute(myquery)...
any ideas?

thanks!!

Are you using the exact same DSN for both (python & R) connections?

I believe so, in python I use

import pyodbc
import pandas as pd
import numpy as np

cnxn = pyodbc.connect('DSN=DV_MYDSN')
cnxn.timeout = 360000
cursor = cnxn.cursor()
SQL = """CREATE TABLE customdb.mylogin.mytable (t1 varchar(255))"""

cursor.execute(SQL)
print("Table created")

In R I run

library(odbc)
library(DBI)
library(tibble)
library(dplyr)
library(readr)

con <- dbConnect(odbc::odbc(), "DV_MYDV")

mysql ='create table customdb.mylogin.mytable'
dbSendQuery(con, mysql)

#computer explodes

ok, why are the two SQL statements different? should we run the exact same ones?

Also, can you confirm that the table was indeed created by the python code? I wonder if it's failing silently

Yes, you are right. When I run the same exact query (with the schema at the end) I get

dbSendQuery(con, mysql)
Error in new_result(connection@ptr, statement) :
nanodbc/nanodbc.cpp:1665: HY000: Query already resolved. [parser-2901050]

Also, I confirm the table gets created after the python call.

Well, I was actually referring that in the first one there's a field being created

Can we try this?

dbSendQuery(con, "CREATE TABLE customdb.mylogin.mytable (t1 varchar(255))")

yes, this what I just ran. I got the query already resolved error

what does that even mean?

Stupid question, but what about dropping the table before second execution of the create script? It seems you are creating the same table twice.

I tried creating a whole new one, actually. I get the same error

It was a cheap shot, I know...

I access SQL server regularly, the connection I use is as follows:

library(odbc)
con <- dbConnect(odbc(), Driver = "ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server", 
    Server = "my-server", Database = "my-database", UID = "my-login", 
    PWD = "my-password", Port = 1433)

MS SQL Server is not my preferred RDBS for working from R (Postgres is much more fun) but it works; and the benefits of an MS ecosystem (Power BI and stuff) are unquestionable, especially in a corporate environment.