updated to new R studio now cant install any new packages unless im an administrator

I hadn't used R studio in a couple of months so I updated to the most recent version. After the update, Both R and Rstudio wouldn't let me install and new packages. After doing some research, the update was saving any new downloads to my one drive which had run out of space. After some more research, I've reconfigured the Libraries, which leads me to my current problem. After going through and reconfiguring the files to my hard drive, I can only download the packages needed when I'm in administrator mode. I've been at it for 2 days and going a bit bonkers trying to get it to work, where I don't have login as the administrator (only user on the computer), and reload all the packages each time I'm working on a project. I've checked to make sure the windows defender isn't blocking the downloads as well and any package downloaded saves in the temp file for some reason.

R version 4.0.5 (2021-03-31) -- "Shake and Throw"
Copyright (C) 2021 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: i386-w64-mingw32/i386 (32-bit)

This is not related to R or RStudio but to your Windows user's write permissions for the location of your package library.

Only installation binaries are downloaded into temp folders, the package itself goes to your package library.

Can you provide more specific information? Where is your package library located? Can you show an example of an error message you get when you try to install a package?

I had the same problem, I was looking for solutions one day,
you just have to start the Rstudio program as administrator.

What I ended up doing is pasting an icon on my desktop and right-clicking to get the drop-down menu. I have windows 10 and it gave me the option to troubleshoot compatibility. it took me on a step by step process an fixed it for me

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.