X11() error in R Studio Cloud

Hi Everyone!
I've started just 2 weeks ago using R for a university project. My problem is that when i execute x11(), it shows the following message:
"Error in .External2(C_X11, d$display, d$width, d$height, d$pointsize, :
unable to start device X11cairo
In addition: Warning message:
In x11() : unable to open connection to X11 display ''
I cannot install R on my device, I don't have the admin right. I tried to search online, create a new account and the problem is stil there.

Can you please help me?

RStudio Cloud runs on a headless server so nothing depending on X11 will work in RStudio Cloud.

I swear yesterday it worked. I've tried dev.off() to close my previous plot and open a new one, then xll stopped functioning, maybe I've broke something..

Rstudio cloud has graphics devices but it doesn't have X11, that is just how headless servers work, if it was a general purpose server you could work around this by using X11 forwarding through a SSH connection.

Hello @Erika_Fortin,

can you please remind me which R package you are using that triggers this problem ?

@andresrcs is right in saying that RStudio Cloud does not support X11 graphics to some extent, but one still can redirect X11 rendering within R into other rendering engines so that the plot will be saved as a file, for example.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.